Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Mission #98 - School of Rock

Mission #98 - Watch a Movie (50pts)

I wish that in my time in school that I would have had a bit more music education. Granted, I grew up in a small town that had a handful of radio stations, mainly adult contemporary/top 40, country, Christian and oldies. Elementary school had me learning how to play the recorder (ah, how I loathed the song Buffouns!), I picked up violin in 4th grade (and came to KSU a few times to play for String Fling!)... 6th grade I joined the marching/concert band with the flute and piccolo (I was thisclose to being percussion but top 5 made it, I was #6...). I liked music like Amy Grant and Debbie Gibson... New Kids on the Block... stuff ON the adult contemporary/top 40 stations.

Then something happened. I got my hands on a copy of Stone Temple Pilot's Purple album. That was probably right around.. 8th grade. I changed my outlook on music, listening to heavier alternative, like Korn, White Zombie and STP. I expanded my listening even more as I was swim team manager for the guys. The music they had me listen to.. like Soulfly... Static X.. Stabbing Westward.. holy crap. I got to college.. and just like everything else, my mind expanded even more, finding more of the classics like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd.. the Who... Cream... Deep Purple.. I could go on and on and on.

Had I had a substitute teacher like Jack Black's character on School of Rock... I would have changed my musical interests soooo much more quickly. And can I just say what an excellent soundtrack School of Rock has? I mean, come on, its important to know your roots.



School of Rock starring Jack Black. Its important to learn about where music was to understand where it is today (and why so much of it sucks).

I know the point of the movie was cheesey dumb, but, I liked it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home